Tuesday, December 11, 2007

O Come, O Come, Emmanuel and Ransom Captive Israel


Lyrics:

O come, O come, Emmanuel
And ransom captive Israel
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan's tyranny
From depths of Hell Thy people save
And give them victory o'er the grave
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Day-Spring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night
And death's dark shadows put to flight.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Key of David, come,
And open wide our heavenly home;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, O come, Thou Lord of might,
Who to Thy tribes, on Sinai's height,
In ancient times did'st give the Law,
In cloud, and majesty and awe.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

***

Baruch HaShem! Oh, yes... ransom Your people, Israel! Bless Your people, Israel!

10 Moreover the LORD spoke again to Ahaz, saying, 11 “Ask a sign for yourself from the LORD your God; ask it either in the depth or in the height above.” 12 But Ahaz said, “I will not ask, nor will I test the LORD!” 13 Then he said, “Hear now, O house of David! Is it a small thing for you to weary men, but will you weary my God also? 14 Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.[b] (Isaiah 7:10-14)

6 “Yet I have set My King
On My holy hill of Zion.”
7 “I will declare the decree:
The LORD has said to Me,
‘You are My Son,
Today I have begotten You
. (Psalm 2:6-7)

19 Then You spoke in a vision to Your holy one,[b]
And said: “I have given help to one who is mighty;
I have exalted one chosen from the people.

20 I have found My servant David;
With My holy oil I have anointed him,

21 With whom My hand shall be established;
Also My arm shall strengthen him.

22 The enemy shall not outwit him,
Nor the son of wickedness afflict him.

23 I will beat down his foes before his face,
And plague those who hate him.

24 “But My faithfulness and My mercy shall be with him,
And in My name his horn shall be exalted.

25 Also I will set his hand over the sea,
And his right hand over the rivers.

26 He shall cry to Me, ‘You are my Father,
My God, and the rock of my salvation.’

27 Also I will make him My firstborn,
The highest of the kings of the earth.

28 My mercy I will keep for him forever,
And My covenant shall stand firm with him. (Psalm 89:19-28)

33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! (Romans 11:33)

Amen v' Amen!

And my favorite song since childhood... The Little Drummer Boy, by Josh Groban

God bless you, Josh... you play your drum well for your King and Messiah!
Another beautiful song by Josh, O Holy Night...

4 comments:

elmers brother said...

appreciated what you had to say over at Jason's

Merry Christmas!

EB

Deborah said...

Merry Christmas to you, too!

God bless!

-Deborah

Avi said...

You've taken Psalm 2 out of context, of course, and twisted it to refer to something that it clearly does not.

Here's Psalm 2 from Mechon Mamre:

1 Why are the nations in an uproar? And why do the peoples mutter in vain?
2 The kings of the earth stand up, and the rulers take counsel together, {N}
against the LORD, and against His anointed:
3 'Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.'
4 He that sitteth in heaven laugheth, the Lord hath them in derision.
5 Then will He speak unto them in His wrath, and affright them in His sore displeasure:
6 'Truly it is I that have established My king upon Zion, My holy mountain.'
7 I will tell of the decree: the LORD said unto me: 'Thou art My son, this day have I begotten thee.
8 Ask of Me, and I will give the nations for thine inheritance, and the ends of the earth for thy possession.
9 Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.'
10 Now therefore, O ye kings, be wise; be admonished, ye judges of the earth.
11 Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling.
12 Do homage in purity, lest He be angry, and ye perish in the way, when suddenly His wrath is kindled. {N}
Happy are all they that take refuge in Him. {P}


In this Psalm, King David is refered to metaphorically as G-d's son. This Psalm has a parallel in Psalm 89:
"I have found David My servant; with My holy oil have I anointed him;... He shall call unto Me: Thou art my Father, my God, and the rock of my salvation." (21-27) To say that since the verse speaks of G-d's son, it must refer to Yeishu is ridiculous since the Torah says that all Jews are the sons of G-d (Deut. 14:1)

This Psalm speaks of the messiah having control over the heathen. this obviously cannot refer to Yeishu since the Romans had control over him! (Saying that this refers to the Second Coming is a very forced answer since there is no sugestion of any other comings from this verse.)

Furthermore, the correct translation is 'embrace purity' rather than 'kiss the Son'. The word 'bar' only means son in Aramaic. The Psalms were written entirely in Hebrew, hundreds of years before Jews conversed in Aramaic!

Deborah said...

BK,

You and I may never agree on the interpretation of some Scriptures referring to Messiah unless G-d Himself comes to visit one of us to set one of us straight, but until that happens, we're both required to fear and love Him in truth as each understands truth. I read what you just copied in your comment, and I still interpret it in the same way. Sorry to disappoint you, BK, but I see no one but Yeshua in the Scriptures I presented, and I still see no one else except Yeshua in the Scripture you presented. I understand that David was being spoken to, spoken about, and spoken of; however, it is David's lineage and his perpetual throne that are being spoken of - David's throne which will be occupied forever by no one else other than Messiah! Most Scriptures concerning David are speaking of him in perpetuity!

I like what Jungle Mom left you on your blog about the Baptist. See, I've been trying to tell you that there are those of us who do not conform to your image of Christianity! You tend to apply Catholicism to every Christian. That's not to say that you don't have a fairly good understanding of Catholicism or other denominations in Christianity, but you do not understand the various sects in Christianity as I do not understand the various sects in Judaism. For example, you have a different understanding then my other Jewish friends. My Jewish friends believe Satan exists and that he is G-d's enemy. So which one of my Jewish friends is right concerning Satan? You or them?

I do not conform to the Catholic church, to the protestant church (you know I am NOT happy with Martin Luther because of his anti-Semitism), or to the preaching/teaching behind any pulpit or book cover if it is not supported in context or found as a constant throughout many other places in the Bible. I align myself with the Baptist by and large, but there are a few doctrines I do not adhere to, but my lack of adherence is not heretical, it's merely a matter of opinion. And, BK, the B'rit Chadashah was not written by the Catholic church, it was written by Jewish authors in the 1st century who believed Yeshua was the Messiah, and most letters were written before the destruction of the Temple. You need to study authoritative sources that are unbiased, not legends, and certainly not Dan Brown. And, yes, most of the B'rit Chadashah was written in Greek, except for Matthew which was also written in Hebrew, because Greek was the universal language and understood by a vast majority of the population throughout the Roman empire, including Israel. The proclamation that Messiah had come was meant to be understood by those living in lands far from Israel... to be understood by the Gentiles to whom Paul and the other apostles went to in proclaiming the good news (a.k.a. "gospel") of Messiah as Isaiah and other prophets foretold.

I'm taking time off starting next weekend, I'll make a list of unanswered issues and study hard to answer you in the best form possible. I appreciate you! You keep me on my toes and in prayer! When are you coming to Texas to speak to my Christian Zionist group?

-Deborah